Boğaziçi University Library is an academic library which holds a collection of around 665,000 volumes ever growing since the year 1863, having 1,000 seating capacity on 10,000 square meters of building space. The library and the study halls have wireless network access.
During an average day, 4,500 users walk in, 660 books are borrowed, 35 books are put hold on, 192 electronic course reserves and 3,550 articles and e-books are downloaded.
Every year around 10,000 new book purchases and 15,000 book donations are added to the collection. Proxy service enables users to access all electronic resources subscribed by Library anytime, anywhere. Users can also do most of the transactions like renewing borrowed books, holds, etc. through internet by themselves.
The major collections of the library are:
- General Collection : Includes 482,000 materials among which English and Turkish languages having majority while dozens of other languages are also available.
- Reference Collection : Includes encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases, biographies and such reference resources as well as theses and research papers submitted to Bogazici University.
- Neareast Collection : This specialized collection consists of resources about Turkish Republic, Ottoman Empire and Neareast civilizations.
- Periodicals Collection : Ongoing subscription to 620 printed and 79,921 electronic journals titles, 3,256,021 e-books, microfilm archives of some newspapers are available in this collection. 174 e-journal databases and 20 e-book databases are accessible on-campus and off-campus, 24/7 over internet.
- Rare Books Collection : Reaching back to 16th century with press-printed and manuscript items, this collection is the only closed-stack part of library and subject to special rules.
- Audio-Visual Collection : Holds a valuable collection of classical, jazz, rock and ethnic music in vinyl and CD format; as well as a broad collection of movies and documentaries in DVD, VHS and Blu-Ray formats.
- Braille Collection : Contains 2,883 books printed in braille format and various audio books.
Library is open 24/7 during the academic year (including summer school) and Monday-Friday 09:00 - 17:30 hours during the summer break.